Utah County Motor Vehicle Refund Request
Pursuant to Utah Code Section 41-1a-1203, application for refund must be made within six months of the original date of payment.
Fees are refundable in very limited circumstances. The following examples provide common circumstances under which registration fees may or may not be refundable:
- If your registration expires in August (for example), and you paid your renewal fees prior to the expiration date (August 31), your refund may be approved if you provide proof that the vehicle was sold, traded in, or inoperable August 31 or prior.
- If change of title is not done by the date the new registration period begins (September 1 in the example), the fees would NOT be refundable.
- Fees paid for temporary permits are NOT refundable.
Provide copies of all documents which support your reason for requesting a refund.
- Attach a copy of any receipts from the registration payment.
- If the vehicle has been sold: Attach documentation which includes the VIN/HIN, date of the transaction, and signatures of the seller and purchaser (bill of sale).
- Lease buy-outs: Attach a copy of your lease buy-out agreement which includes the VIN/HIN and the date of the transaction.
The Utah County Treasurer can only process refunds for monies received by Utah County. Please contact your local county assessor for payments made to other counties.
Please submit this form online below or return it and any supporting documentation to:
100 E. Center Street STE 1200
Provo, UT 84606
For any questions please call the Utah County Treasurer’s office at: 801-851-8255 option 4.
Utah County Motor Vehicle Online Refund Request Form
If you would like to download and print a PDF to mail or email in, you can download it here.Download PDF